Viator
Google

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SURF lessons in Waikiki for your HoneyLuna Honeymoon Registry


So I finally had the opportunity to fulfill a much anticipated "to do in my lifetime" bucket list item... SURF lessons!!!!

And yes, that is ME -- standing up on a surf board. Ok the waves are small and ok it's a big wide HUGE "beginner board" but I'm doing it! I'm surfing!!

The lessons were a blast - so non-threatening and so easy. Basically you get about a 5 minute briefing on the sand and then boom, you're in the water. The instructor is always with you, helping push you onto the wave at the right time, and then yelling at you when exactly to stand up. This is where my years of gymnastics training came in -- balance by looking up at the beach instead of down at my feet (just like on the balance beam - only there was no beach then!)

I had so much fun I rented a board by myself the next day (I renamed the beginner board to "evolving surfer chick" board) and I would like the record to show that I got up on the board many times BY MYSELF! No push from the instructor on to the wave, no one telling me when and how to stand.

I highly recommend SURF lessons for all - especially in Waikiki. It's so "gentle" - not scary at all. There are kiosks up and down the beach and you can walk up to any one at any time and sign up for a lesson then and there. Group classes where I went (up to 5) were $40 for a 1 hour class. Semi-private (2 people) was $60 / hour. And really, an hour was enough. It's hard work when you're not in shape!

You can also just rent a surfboard -- $15/hour for a better "evolving surfer chick" board.

Put "SURF lessons" on your HoneyLuna honeymoon registry -- then you too can have a cool photo to post on your FB page and your blog page and share with all of your friends!!